Sunday, November 11, 2007

Small Sources of Joy / Dead Ipod Shuffle

I figured I'd post this here since most of the people who poke around my wallpaper website (of whom there are not many, at the moment) will generally be inclined toward multimedia, and likely own an ipod.

My ipod shuffle has gotten a little iffy lately, but I manage to keep it working... barely, I suspect. It's about 2.5 years old, has been worked like a dog the whole time (I rode the bus a LOT in college), and doesn't seem happy about it. Anyway, today, I got the blinking lights of doom again. Those lights bring with them a sinking feeling, as my shuffle is a small but reliable source of joy in life. It has gotten a little bit less reliable lately, although Apple's reset utility had saved the day once before, so I figured it would work again.

I used it again, to no avail. I continued to get the 'disk not found' error. I'd read somewhere (another blog?) that perhaps you could only use the reset utility once, which I assumed to be the case. However, in a fit of maddened clicking, I discovered something that the reset instructions failed to mention - you have to shut the shuffle off for a few seconds in order for it to properly reset.

d'oh.

I'm not sure if that was a second time only type deal, a special case with my shuffle just being weird, or what - I don't remember it being an issue the first time.

In any case, the shuffle works again.

No comments: